Juniperus squamata 'Blue Star'
Blue Star Singleseeded Juniper
Blue Star Flaky Juniper
Native to (or naturalized in) Oregon:
- Conifer, evergreen, rounded, squat shrub (dwarf), 3 ft (1 m) tall by 4 ft (1.2 m), mounded. Leaves awl-shaped, 6-10 mm long, over-lapping, densely arranged, in whorls of 3, steel-blue, conspicuous white stripe.
- Sun; adaptable, tolerates dry soils
- Hardy to USDA Zone 4 Species native to Afghanistan, Himalayas, western China.
- ‘Blue Star’ originated as a witches' broom on ‘Meyeri’ in Holland, introduced in 1964. Several other cultivars of Juniperus squamata are available, including ‘Blue Carpet’, ‘Holger’, and ‘Meyeri’.
- squamata: scaly, the bark.