Japanese Garden Juniper
Bonin Island Juniper
Native to (or naturalized in) Oregon:
- Conifer, evergreen, spreading, low growing shrub or ground cover, 20-30 inches (50-75 cm) high and 6 ft wide (1.8 m) wide, branches stiff and turned upward at the ends. Leaves (needles) in whorls of 3, linear-lanceolate, spiny-pointed, 6-8 mm long, concave with a green midrib, otherwise bluish with 2 white spots near base. Fruit globose, 8-9 mm thick, usually with 3 seeds.
- Sun. Tolerant of many soils.
- Hardy to USDA Zone 4 Native to the mountains of Japan.
- A few cultivars, including:
- ‘Bonni Isles’ - mat forming habit, similar to ‘Nana’.
- ‘Greenmound’ (‘Green Mound’) - low mat, about 8 inches (20 cm) high, light green foliage.
- ‘Nana’ - dwarf form develops into a compact mat with curved branches on top of others, spreading out into sprays, short needles, poplular.
- ‘Variegated’ - blue-green foliage streaked in gold.