Native to (or naturalized in) Oregon:
- Deciduous shrub, 3-5 ft (0.0-1.5 m) tall and wide, arching, willowy. Leaves 25-40 mm long, narrow, only 3-6 mm wide (narrower than S. × arguta), sharply serrate, pale green. Flowers are white, single, small (ca. 8 mm across), often on shorter shoots than on S. × arguta.
- Sun to light shade. Not easy to distinguish S. thunbergii from S. × arguta; when in bloom, S. × arguta has very long unbranched shoots and those of S. thunbergii are shorter. This difference can still be observed as bloom ends and shoot growth begins.
- Hardy to USDA Zone 4 Native to Japan and China
- thunbergii: after Carl Peter Thunberg
- Oregon State Univ. campus: east side of Milam, south end.