Native to (or naturalized in) Oregon:
- Broadleaf evergreen tree/shrub, 20-25 ft (6-8 m), large shrub or a pyramidal tree, dense, stout branches, flat stems. Leaves alternate, simple, thick, leathery, oblong, relatively large, 10-20 cm long, marginal coarse teeth, lustrous dark green, yellow-green below. Flowers yellow-green, 4-parted. Fruit dull red, 8 mm diam., borne in axillary clusters which almost surround the stem, hold into winter.
- Sun to part shade. Does best in well-drained soil.
- Hardy to USDA Zone 7 China and Japan.
- latifolia: with broad leaves.
- Oregon State Univ. campus: north side Gilmore, near annex.