Native to (or naturalized in) Oregon:
- Deciduous tree, 20-25 ft (6-7.6 m), vase-like, spurs, (different growth pattern than M. floribunda, note water shoots, more open), tends to have long lateral shoots. Leaves alternate, simple, somewhat red-green at first, often with red margins. Flowers single, deep pink in bud, fading to light pink to white, 3.8 cm diam., fragrant. Fruit greenish yellow to red, 10 mm diam.
- Sun, not very disease susceptable.
- Hardy to USDA Zone (4) 5. Native to China and Japan.
- hupehensis: of Hubei, provence in China.
- Oregon State Univ. campus: several behind Fairbanks