Native to (or naturalized in) Oregon:
- Deciduous to semi-evergreen shrub, straggly branched, 5-10 ft (1.5-3 m) high, shoots erect. Leaves simple, alternate, elliptic to obovate, 1.5-3 cm long, deep green above and light green and somewhat pubescent below. Flowers white with some pink trace, 8.5 mm diam., grouped 2-5, petals erect. Fruit to 8 mm, ovoid, scarlet, with 2-5 nutlets.
- Sun. Often used as a hedge in England.
- Hardy to USDA Zone 6 Native to Himalaya, Nepal, India (Khasi Hills)
- simonsii: after a Mr. Simons who introduced it in 1869
- Corvallis: east side of 6th Street between Jefferson Ave. and Adams Ave., in a parking lot.