Adam's Needle Yucca
Native to (or naturalized in) Oregon:
- Broadleaf evergreen shrub, to about 30 inches (75 cm) high, clump forming, essentially stemless. Leaves stiffly erect to spreading, 45 cm long, about 5 cm wide, tapering, margin has long, loose fibers but it is in rolled near the spiny tip, dark green above. Flowers are yellowish-white, 5-7 cm wide, in narrow, long, spike-like clusters (panicles), 2 m or more in height. Fruit is oblong, about 4 by 2 cm, containing dull black, thin seeds, 6 mm diam.
- Sun to part shade, not particular about soil, drought resistant.
- Hardy to USDA Zone 4 (Yes, it can grow in Minnesota!) Native to the southeastern US, from Maryland to Tennessee and south to Florida and Louisiana. 'Golden Sword' is a variegated selection.
- filamentosa: with treads or filament, here on the leaf margin
- Oregon State University campus: southwest Administration buildling of College of Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences (near Orchard Ave. and 26th St.)