Taxodium distichum 'Cascade Falls'
Cascade Falls Baldcypress
Native to (or naturalized in) Oregon:
- Deciduous conifer, tree or shrub, with a pendulous habit.
- Sun, grows well on deep, fine, sandy loam, acid soil.
- Hardy to USDA Zone 4 Discovered as a chance seedling growing in a cultivated area along the bank of a small man-made lake in Auckland, New Zealand (U.S. patent PP 12,296, Dec. 18, 2001).
- 'Cascade Falls' is typically grafted to Taxodium distichum understock at a desired height and the branches then weep downward from the point of the graft. If not grafted or otherwise supported, the foliage of this weeping cultivar would simply sprawl along the ground as a ground cover.
- Oregon State Univ. campus: SE corner of the Valley Library Quad