Native to (or naturalized in) Oregon:
- Broadleaf semi-evergreen shrub/small tree, 10-20 ft (3-6 m) tall. Leaves simple, opposite, elliptic to elliptic-oblong, 2.5-8cm long, entire, dull dark green, pubescent on midrib below. Black fruit that is distributed by birds, and can become a "weed".
- Sun or shade. Though plant.
- Hardy to USDA Zone (6)7 Native to China.
- Note:The plant has escaped from cultivation and is considered an invasive species in several areas, especially in the southeastern U.S.
- Ligustrum: classical Latin name for the European species (L. vulgare). sinense: of China.
- Oregon State Unvi. campus: west side of Bexell Hall.