Clematis montana var. rubens
Pink Anemone Clematis
KLEM-a-tis mon-TAN-a ru-BENZ
Native to (or naturalized in) Oregon:
- Deciduous vine or ground cover, 20 ft (6 m), vigorous. Leaves opposite, compound, trifoliate, 3-10 cm, leaflets short stalked, purplish, especially in spring, later becoming bronze green. Abundant flowers with 4 rosy red to pink red colored sepals (rubens = red), 5-6.5 cm diam.
- Sun to part shade, prefers will drained soil. Prune after flowering to rejuvenate.
- Hardy to USDA Zone 5 The species (C. montana), has white flowers and is native to the Himalayas and central and western China. Several cultivars of the rubens form are available.
- clematis: Greek name for a climbing plant. montana: of the mountains.
- Corvallis: 2725 Arnold Way.