Native to (or naturalized in) Oregon:
- Broadleaf evergreen shrub, 6-8(10) ft, [1.8-2.4(3) m] generally rounded. Leaves alternate, large, usually 15-35 cm across, simple, with palmate shape, 7-9 serrate lobes, leathery, lustrous dark green. Flowers white, in large terminal clusters (umbels), 4 cm diam., flower stalk white; blooms in late fall. Fruit fleshy, black, 8 mm diam. (drupe).
- Full shade preferable. Best in moist, acid, high in organic matter soils, but tolerates light-sandy and heavy-clay soils.
- Hardy to USDA Zone (7) 8 Native to Japan
- Variegated cultivar are available, including 'Variegata' and 'Spider's Web'.
- Oregon State Univ. campus: north side Milam Hall.