Native to (or naturalized in) Oregon:
- Deciduous (evergreen in warm areas), shrublet, low, 2 ft (60 cm) high, a procumbent form is common in cultivation. Short, arching, slender, angular green stems. Leaves alternate, simple, small (10 x 1.5 mm), linear-elliptic, acute tip, spaced about 10-15 mm along the stem. Flowers bright yellow (pea-type), 1 cm long, cover plant in May. Fruit to 2 cm, narrow-oblong, flat, glabrous (without hairs), 3-8 seeded.
- Full sun and well drained soil.
- Hardy to USDA Zone (6) 7 Native to the Balkans and western Asia.
- Genista: classical Latin name for broom. lydia: of Lydia (Western Turkey).
- Corvallis: behind University Plaza, at Western Ave. and 15th St.