Fagus sylvatica 'Asplenifolia'
Fernleaf European Beech
Native to (or naturalized in) Oregon:
- Like the species, but dense growth and cut leaves that offer a fern-like appearance.
- The group F. sylvatica f. laciniata "embraces all cutleaf cultivars", including ‘Asplenifolia’, the most common form, 'Laciniata’ and less common selections. ‘Asplenifolia’ probably originated in France but was introduced in about 1804 by Conard Loddiges and Sons nursery in England (Jacobson, 1996).
- Asplenifolia: asplenium-like leaves (folia), refers to the fern genus Asplenium.
- Corvallis: south side of Central Park, east of play structures
- Oregon State Univ. campus: on the northwest corner of Snell Hall.