Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum'
Golden Fullmoon Maple
Acer japonicum ‘Aureum’
Native to (or naturalized in) Oregon:
- Broadleaf deciduous tree/shrub, slow growing but may, in time, reach 16-20 ft (5-6 m) high with an equal spread. Leaves simple, opposite, to 6 x 6 cm, suboricular, 11-13 lobed, acuminate, bright yellow to greenish-yellow (depending on exposure), may be golden-yellow to orange in the fall, but often shows little color (van Gelderen and van Gelderen, 1999).
- Shade, may scorch in the sun in hot weather, protect from late spring frosts and wind.
- Hardy to USDA Zone (5)6 Introduced into Holland from Japan in about 1865 and into England by 1881 (Jacobson, 1996).
- Silverton, Oregon: The Oregon Garden
- Oregon State Univ. campus: near the SE door of Cordley Hall (2014)