Native to (or naturalized in) Oregon:
- Broadleaf evergreen shrub, 6 ft (1.8 m) in 10 years, to 10 ft (3 m), upright and open, may be spreading, young shoots purplish red, scaly. Leaves lanceolate to oblong, up to 7 cm long, dark glossy green and slightly scaly above, dull brown and densely scaly below. Flower color varies from white blushed pink, to pink, pale rose, or purplish-pink, sometimes spotted with red, widely funnel-shaped, about 3 cm long and 4.5 cm wide, 10 stamens, clusters contain 3-6 flowers.
- 0°F, early-mid, 4/3/3 [flower / plant & foliage / performance; scale 1 (poor) - 5 (best)].
- Native to China, Szechwan and Yunnan, 6,500-11,500 ft.
- davidsonianum: after W. H. Davidson, Friends Mission in China.
- Rhododendron Species Foundation and Botanical Garden, Federal Way, Washington